Matcha is quite versatile in the sense that it can be used in both sweet or savoury dishes.
In this blog, we'll share some of our favourite ingredients that pair well with matcha. From fruits and vegetables to proteins and spices, there are plenty of options to choose from. So get creative and experiment with different flavour combinations to find your perfect matcha pairing!
A brief list to get you started
Assuming you would like a list of ingredients that can be paired well with matcha:
- Fruits: Matcha goes well with a variety of fruits, such as strawberries, oranges, apples, bananas, mangoes, watermelon, pears, blueberries, etc.
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, pistachios, cashews, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Dairy: Milk is a common ingredient that is added to matcha. It helps to create a smooth and creamy texture. You can use milk(plant based or cow), or other types of dairy such as yogurt, cheese(vegan or dairy).
- Chocolate: If you're looking for something a little sweeter, matcha also pairs well with chocolate. The bitterness of matcha is offset by the sweetness of chocolate, making for a delicious and decadent treat. Try pairing matcha with semi-sweet chocolate for the best results.
- Baked goods and desserts: cookies, cakes, muffins, tiramisu
- Savoury dishes: Matcha can be used as a seasoning for savoury foods like rice, chicken, fish
- Umami flavours: Matcha goes especially well with umami-rich foods like mushrooms, miso, and soy sauce
- Honey: A touch of honey can really help to round out the flavour of matcha and make it even more enjoyable.
- Lemon or orange: A squeeze of lemon can brighten up the flavour of matcha and give it a bit of zing.
Experiment with these ingredients and see what you think makes the perfect cup of matcha for you!
Matcha is a great addition to any smoothie or shake. Try adding a teaspoon to your favourite recipe for a boost of flavour and nutrition. Matcha is also delicious in oatmeal or yogurt. Simply stir in a teaspoon of matcha powder and enjoy!
For a more savoury dish, try adding matcha to soup or stir-fry. The umami flavour of matcha pairs well with many different ingredients. Add a teaspoon of matcha to your next batch of soup or stir-fry and enjoy!
As you can see, there are a variety of ingredients that can be paired well with matcha. Whether you're looking for a sweet or savoury option, there's sure to be something on this list that you'll love. So next time you're feeling like whipping up a matcha-based dish, be sure to consult this list for some inspiration.
The basics of matcha
When it comes to pairing matcha with other ingredients, you should keep in mind that matcha is quite strong, so it can be overwhelming if used in large quantities. While the traditional pairing is with sweets, there are other options out there that can be just as delicious.
No matter what you pair it with, matcha is sure to be a hit!
We hope you enjoyed learning a little more about matcha and some of the ways you can make it even more refreshing. As you can see, there are many different tea ingredients that can be used to enhance the flavour and health benefits of matcha. Be sure to experiment with different combinations to find your perfect matcha recipe. And who knows, maybe you'll discover a new favourite flavour combination.