Matcha Boba Tea is a delicious drink that has been gaining popularity around the world in recent years.
Originating from Taiwan, this sweet and refreshing tea-based drink has been popping up more and more on menus of restaurants and cafes all over the world.
From its humble beginnings as a traditional tea in East Asia to its new status as an Instagrammable trend, Matcha Boba Tea is definitely worth trying!
What is matcha boba tea?
Matcha boba tea is a dessert drink that combines the refreshing taste of green tea with the sweetness of Boba balls. This unique combination has made matcha boba tea a popular choice for those looking for a tasty and refreshing treat.
Are you a matcha fan?
Culinary grade matcha is the best ideal matcha and is used as an ingredient in cooking, baking, desserts and other processed foods. It makes a great addition to any home chef's pantry. With its green colour, strong flavour, easily dissolving properties, it blends well with water or milk.
Adding culinary grade matcha to baked goods or food items in measured quantity will ensure that your food will look good and taste delicious!
High quality Japanese matcha green tea is quite resistant to oxidation (discoloration). However, the freshness will gradually decrease over time. The taste, colour and flavour of the tea powder changes with oxidation.
The best tasting teas are fresh off the shelf. It is important to store your tea in an airtight container and keep it in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources to prevent it from oxidising quickly.
Have you ever tried matcha boba tea?
If not, you're missing out!
This beverage is made with matcha powder, milk, and tapioca pearls, and it's absolutely divine.
When making matcha yourself at home, there are things you can do to ensure that the result is good each time:
Use water that is hot enough to bring out the umami and healthful components of the tea. You don't want to just heat up the water with a stove to make it hot, as the resulting tea tastes bitter.
Use a water heater or an electric kettle that brings the water up to 80°C (176°F), then let it cool to 70°C (158°F) before you whisk the matcha.
If you're interested in trying matcha boba tea at home, here's a quick guide on how to prepare it:
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Tapioca pearls, also known as boba balls
- Start by boiling water and adding the tapioca pearls. Cook according to package instructions.
- While the pearls are cooking, whisk together the matcha powder and hot water.
- Heat the milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- You can use any type of milk you like (almond, soy, oat milk).
- Bring the milk to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Once the pearls are cooked, let it cool.
- To assemble, take a tall glass and add the boba to the bottom of it.
- Then add sweetened milk and ice.
- Top it off with whisked matcha and enjoy.
Next time you're in the mood for something sweet, this is the perfect treat for any occasion.